“Kasane” generally means “pile up” It’s one of the cooking method being used in Japan. Usually made with only vegetables including carrot, onion, shitake mushrooms. This time I combined one of the popular dishes stuffed cabbage rolls with kasane style method! This way, you don’t have to bother wrapping every filling with cabbage leaves like spring rolls! It’s also looking very attractive on a plate!
This can be great for a gathering meal! ヽ(´▽｀)/〜♪HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!
[ Ingredients ] *tsp=tea spoon tbs=table spoon
~ serves four ~
400g Ground pork
5~6 Leaves Cabbage
2 tbs Ketchup
Salt & Black pepper to taste
8 slices Bacon
200g Canned tomato
1 tsp Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
[ Directions ]
1. Peel several leaves of cabbage. Cut into half if it’s too big.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧This is not stuffed cabbage rolls. Every leaf doesn’t have to be in perfect shape.
2. Blanch the leaves and cool off in cold water.
3. Trim off the thick part of the vein.
4. Chop the trimmed vein and put aside.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧This part contents sweetness. Don’t discard!ヽ(￣д￣;)ノ
5. Put ground pork into a bowl. Add salt.
6. Add Ketchup.
7. Mix well until it’s smooth.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧Mixing well after adding seasonings such as salt can make your filling smooth texture.
8. Add an egg.
9. Add chopped cabbage vein.
10. Mix again, allow every ingredients gets blended in. Now you have the filling ready!
11. Let’s prepare tomato sauce! First of, chop onion.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧You can add more mirepoix such as carrot, celery..
12. Chop bacon.
13. This time I used canned tomato. You can use fresh tomato instead.
14. Put into a blender and run it into fine puree.
15. Heat up a pot over medium heat. Add some oil and the bacon. Stir fry until it’s light brown.
16. Add chopped onion. Stir fry until it’s translucent.
17. Pour the tomato puree.
18. Add sugar, salt and black pepper.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧Sugar can neutralize the tomato sourness.
Adding some tabasco can give a nice kick to the sauce!
19. Take about half amount of the sauce out of the pot.
20. Lay the leaves over the sauce.
21. Put 1/4 of the filling. Spread evenly.
22. Cover the filling with leaves. Repeat the process four times. You should have four layers of fillings.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧You can also add mozzarella cheese on each layer!
23. Lastly, put the sauce back into the pot to cover up the leaves.
24. Cover the pot and simmer for 10~12 minutes.
You can slice in with a paring knife. Sprinkle some parmesan as you serve!
Copyright © MASA’s Cooking- All Rights Reserved.