Curry is one of the most popular food in Japan all the time. It’s usually served on a plate along with steamed rice. Curry sauce itself has a little consistency which usually made with curry cube. There is another style of curry we enjoy these days. It’s called soup curry. It’s originally started in Hokkaido. Now there are lots of people recognize this dish. This time I would like to share some thing similar to the Hokkaido style curry soup. To create thickness in the soup, I didn’t use curry cube, but used lots of vegetable paste. You still can enjoy very smooth textured curry. Please enjoy with rice or bread!
[ Ingredients ] *tsp=tea spoon tbs=table spoon
~ serves four ~
4 Bone in chicken thigh
2 tbs Curry powder
1 tsp Salt
2 tbs Yogurt, unsweetened
2~3 cloves Garlic
3 tbs Curry powder
1 tbs Brown sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tbs Soy sauce
800ml Chicken stock
12 Green beans
[ Directions ]
1. This time, I’m using bone in chicken thighs.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧It’s very suitable for slow cooking such as stewing. With bone, meat won’t get dissolve easily. Besides it comes out nice stock as well!!
2. Cut along with the bone so the bone can be exposed.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧Exposing bone can speed up the cooking process.
3. Poke the surface with a knife so the seasonings can be well absorbed.
4. Sprinkle salt evenly.
5. Sprinkle curry powder and rub in all the seasonings.
6. Add yogurt.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧Yogurt’s enzyme can soften meat and also can add another layer of flavor to your curry!
7. Spread the yogurt evenly rub in well. Now it’s ready to marinate!
8. If you don’t want your fridge filled with smell of curry, you can put into a ziplock.
9. Place in the fridge over night.
10. Curry paste preparation: Cut onion into small pieces.
11. Cut carrot into small pieces.
12. Cut ginger into small pieces.
13. Cut garlic into small pieces.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧All these ingredients amount can be adjusted to the way you like!
14. Throw them all into a blender or food processor and make it into paste.
15. Make sure all the ingredients are processed into paste not leaving any chunks.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧This will create smooth texture in your curry soup!
16. Heat a pot over medium low heat add half tablespoon olive oil. Add the vegetable paste.
17. Now you gonna have to be a little patient and keep stir frying for 30~40 minutes!
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧Heating for a long time can fully extract vegetable fragrance.
18. This is what it looks like in about 30 minutes. Haven’t added curry but the color is somehow similar to curry!
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧You don’t necessarily have to stir it all along. Give it stir once in a while just make sure it doesn’t burn stick on the bottom.
19. Another 10 minutes, it’s become more concentrated paste.
20. Now you can add curry powder.
21. Keep stir frying, allow it to bring up curry fragrance.
22. If you make some extra, you can cool it down.
23. And wrap it tightly, store in the freezer.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧This is “home made curry cube” You can add into your stew so it can instantly turn into curry! Simply toss it into instant noodles would be also a great idea!
24. Cut carrot into small pieces.
25. Potato should be cut bigger than carrot so it won’t get dissolved while waiting for carrot to be thoroughly cooked.
26. Add chicken stock into the pot.
27. Add the marinated chicken.
28. Add the carrot and potato.
29. Cover the pot and simmer until carrot becomes soft.
30. After making sure the carrot and chicken are all cooked, add tomato.
31. Add other seasonings including brown sugar, salt and soy sauce.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧You can use honey instead of brown sugar.
32. Grill any vegetable you like and serve with your curry soup!
you can either drizzle the soup on rice or dip every spoon into the soup~!
Copyright © MASA’s Cooking- All Rights Reserved.