Okonomi yaki can be categorized as one of those what we call B級グルメ/B class gourmet. Meaning…inexpensive but delicious food. Many of these B class gourmet food include gluten ingredients such as flour. Local people also call it 粉もん. Okonomi yaki is usually made with flour mixture and lots of cabbage. But if you are on a diet, you may want to watch carbohydrates intake. You could make one with much less flour mixture or like this recipe”gluten-free” Okonomi yaki! Adding lots of tofu Instead of flour, you can make incredibly light texture Okonomiyaki with less calories!
[ Ingredients ] *tsp=tea spoon tbs=table spoon
~ serves one ~
60g Firm tofu
1 ~2 tbs Japanese yam/yamaimo paste
Or Potato paste
One pinch Katsuo bushi
2 tsp Tonkatsu sauce
1/4 tsp Mayonnaise
One pinch Katsuo bushi
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧to see Japanese seasonings explanations please click here!
[ Directions ]
1. Crush firm tofu by hand.
2. Whisk well to make it smooth texture.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧Or you can use a hand blender or food processor.
3. Here’s Japanese yam also known as Yamaimo. It has very slimy texture. It also gives nice fluffy texture when heated. Peel and use a grater to make it paste.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧This idea is to use its starch to make tender okonomiyaki. It can be substitute for potato.
4. Add 1~2 tablespoon of yamaimo paste into tofu puree.
5. Crumble katsuobushi as you sprinkle into the bowl.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧You can directly add katsuobushi so you don’t have to bother making dashi broth.
You can also use fish stock powder such as “Hondashi” instead.
6. Add one egg and mix well.
7. How you cut cabbage can also affect to your okonomi yaki texture. You can take each leaf apart and stack them flat and start shredding.
8. Rotate the shredded cabbage 90 degrees and chop. Now you have very fine confetti-like cabbage!
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧You can also use food processor but try not to make it too fine. Otherwise it lose its crunchiness.
9. Add the cabbage into the bowl.
10. Mix well allow all the ingredients blend well.
11. You can choose any protein you like. This time I used shrimps. Sauté both sides over medium heat add salt & black pepper.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧Using assorted seafood would be also a great idea!
12. At this point, you just need to sear the surface to bring up the aroma. You can then remove all the “half way cooked” shrimps from the pan.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧This step is to seal the surface so you can avoid letting shrimps come out lots of juice while pan frying with okonomi yaki mixture. They will be cooked again in later steps.
13. Wipe the fry pan and thinly coat the surface with oil. Warm up the pan over low heat. Add okonomi mixture into the pan.
14. Spread it as you are forming into round shape.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧Try not to make it too flat. You should at least have about 1.5cm thickness. This way you can have nice fluffy texture without drying out.
15. Decorate the cooked shrimps on the surface.
16. When the side of okonomi yaki started to turning white and bottom becomes golden brown, you can then flip it. To make it easy, you can first slide out onto a small plate.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧If you are confidence in flipping motion, you can go ahead and directly flip it!!
17. Cover the okonmomi yaki with the pan and flip the plate so the okonomi yaki can be transferred to the pan.
18. Remove the plate and continue cooking over low heat. Wait until it gets springy in the center.
19. Before serving you can cut into 4 or 6 slices and spread Okonomi sauce or Tonkatsu sauce.
20. Here’s very useful way to dispense decorative mayonnaise. Wrap about 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise and twist it tightly.
21. Pierce the bottom with toothpick.
22. Now you can squeeze nice thin line to do mayo art!
you can either serve on a plate or put back in the pan to keep warm.
Copyright © MASA’s Cooking- All Rights Reserved.