Seafood can be also great ingredients to make Takikomi Gohan. There’s a slight difference in cooking method. Since seafood tends to become hard by being heated for a long time, they should be processed separately. This time I used clams as a main ingredient. First extract clam juice by braising with white wine. With this concentrated juice and touch of soy sauce, you can cook wonderful seafood Takikomi Gohan!
[ Ingredients ] *tsp=tea spoon tbs=table spoon
~ serves four ~
300g Jasmine rice
2 tsp Butter
100ml White wine
*depending on how much clam juice extracted.
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp Soy sauce
2 tsp Parsley, chopped
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧to see Japanese seasonings explanations please click here!
[ Directions ]
First of all, get all the sand out of clams. Soak them in salted water for an hour or overnight if have time..
『MASA’s Cooking Tips』
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧make sure the water is salty enough to make seawater environment so the clams will breathe out sands.
2. This time I used Jasmine rice. It’s suitable for this kind of buttery Takikomi dish!
3. Wash well.
4. Put into a strainer to drain out the excess water.
5. Chop carrot.
6. Chop onion.
7. Chop garlic.
8. chop shallot.
9. Add some olive oil to a heated fry pan.
10. Add shallot. Stir fry on medium heat until it gets aromatic.
11. Add clams.
12. Keep stir-frying to heat up the shells so it will pop open easily.
13. Pour white wine.
14. Cover the pan. Keep cooking until all the shells open.
15. Have a strainer lined with a cheese cloth or paper towel.
16. Transfer clams with juice into the strainer.
17. Now you have clams and juice successfully separated!
18. Measure the clam juice, add water to adjust to suitable liquid amount to cook rice. If have 100ml clam juice, you should add 200ml water.
『MASA’s Cooking Tips』
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧The ratio for cooking rice and liquid is 1:1.
Since I’m using 300g rice, it needs to be cooked with 300ml liquid.
19. Add butter into a fry pan, let it melt over medium heat.
20. Add carrot, onion and garlic.
21. Stir fry until onion becomes translucent.
22. Add washed rice.
23. Add about another teaspoon of butter and stir fry.
24. Pour in the clam water(300ml)
25. Add soy sauce and salt.
26. Transfer into a rice cooker.
27. There’s no particular setting for this. Just simply press start button to cook regular steamed rice.
28. While cooking rice, you can remove clam meat from the shells. Using half shell to scrape out makes much easier to process.
29. You can keep some of the clams with meat on for decoration.
30. OK~! the rice is ready! You can smell the full of buttery seafood fragrance!!
31. Add clam meat into the rice and mix well. Now it’s ready to serve!
You can go with some chili powder or/and wedges of lemon!!
32. If you have left over, you can wrap them in each serving and freeze them! You can make stir fried rice or quick seafood risotto by adding some white wine and stock!!
Copyright © MASA’s Cooking- All Rights Reserved.