Omelette rice is one of the very recognizable(?) Japanized western food. Usually we drizzle some ketchup on top. Egg and ketchup is a perfect combination with no doubt but this omelette rice can be also served in more like Japanese way. This way I used enoki mushrooms to make Wa fu sauce. Unlike ketchup, it has nice mushrooms flavor. Of course you don’t necessarily have to wrap steamed rice. It can be directly sauced on you omelette. If you’re tired of ordinary old fashioned breakfast, why don’t you give it try!
[ Ingredients ] *tsp=tea spoon tbs=table spoon
~ serves one ~
120g steamed rice
1/2 tsp white sesame
60g enoki mushrooms
2 tbs sake
2 tbs Mirin
1 tbs soy sauce
1/4 tsp salt
Or water with 1/4 fish stock powder
3g Katsura bushi
1 tsp corn starch
3-4 leaves lettuce
2-3 mini tomatoes
[ Directions ]
1. First off, prepare Wafu enoki sauce. Chop enoki mushrooms.
2. Pour dashi into a pot.
3. Add sake, Mirin, soy sauce and salt start heating.
4. Add chopped enoki after bringing to the boil.
5. Crumble katsuobushi by hand and add into the pot. Keep simmering for about one minute.
6. Add water into corn starch and mix well.
7. Shut off the stove and add starch water.
8. After making sure starch is completely blended into sauce, you can now turn on the heat. Keep stirring as you are setting starch.
9. Now we can start preparing omelette! Crack two eggs into a bowl, add a pinch of salt and mix well.
10. Add some butter into a non stick fry pan and let it melt on medium low heat.
11. Pour the egg mixture into the pan.
12. The first few seconds, give a little stir on the surface as you are making scrambled egg.
13. Tilt the pan, let the egg spread evenly.
14. Sprinkle some white sesame.
15. When the egg starting to firm up, shut off the stove. Add steamed rice.
16. Rice should be mounted NOT right in the center but a little out to the front part so you have some space left on the other side.
17. Wirh exposed part of egg, cover the rice by folding with chop sticks or spatula.
18. Now you need to flip the omelette. Hold the handle by under hand, meaning palm facing up..
19. Check the egg condition. If it’s stuck on the bottom,you can heat the pan and give a little jiggle. It should come lose right away.
20. Hold a plate by the other hand. Let omelette slide on the plate about half way.
21. And then flip the fry pan all the way so the omelette roll out to the plate.
22. Remove the pan. The rice should be covered nicely..
23. If you need to adjust the shape, you can use paper towel to cover up and form into oval shape.
24. Voila! Now you have an attractive omelette rice!
25. Lastly, put some salad as a garnish and put some enoki sauce.
Copyright © MASA’s Cooking- All Rights Reserved.