Tamago Yaki also known as Japanese rolled egg is one of the very popular egg dishes for breakfast. Because it can be served either hot or cold, it’s suitable for bento dishes as well. Since picnicking has been very popular these days, I thought I would make a special sandwich with this juicy rolled egg! To make it even more flavorful, I made Wafu honey mustard sauce to go with. You can go with either sandwich bread, buns. Whatever you feel convenient.. this sauce can be also used to top off pouched eggs instead of Hollandaise sauce. If you’re tired having regular egg sandwiches, this may freshen up your picnic lunch!
[ Ingredients ] *tsp=tea spoon tbs=table spoon
~ serves one ~
2 tbs water
1/4 tsp chicken stock powder
1 stalk thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
3 sandwich bread
2 leaves Romaine lettuce
[ Wafu Honey mustard sauce]
1 tsp honey
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp soba tsuyu
50 ml vegetable oil
1/2 tsp parsley, chopped
1/4 tsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
[ Directions ]
1. First off, prepare Wafu honey mustard sauce. Add salt and Dijon mustard to yolk.
2. Add white wine vinegar…
3. Add honey.
4. For Wafu flavor, this time I’m adding soba tsuyu.
5. To emulsify the sauce, whisk vigorously as you add vegetable oil a little bit at the time.
6. After adding all vegetable oil, squeeze in some lemon juice and add some salt and pepper to adjust the flavor.
7. Finally, add some chopped parsley.
8. Now you have Wafu honey mustard sauce ready! It may be a little runny, storing in the fridge can let it coagulate.
9. Now let’s start with tamago-yaki also known as Japanese rolled egg.
Mix water and stock powder and then add into eggs. Whisk well.
10. Add salt,pepper and some herbs. This time I used thyme.
11. Add some butter into a fry pan and let it melt on low heat. Pour in about 1/3 egg mixture.
12. Tilt the pan to spread egg evenly.
13. With a spatula, fold in the both side of egg sheet.
14. And then roll the egg toward yourself.
15. Push the rolled egg forward and pour another 1/3 egg mixture repeat the process twice to use up all the mixture.
16. Remove the rolled egg and sautéed bacon until golden brown.
17. Place on paper towels and absorb excess grease.
18. Lay some leaves of lettuce on your toast and put the rolled egg. Spread Wafu honey mustard sauce as much as you like.
Copyright © MASA’s Cooking- All Rights Reserved.