There many kinds of rice dishes around the world. In Japan we have Takikomi Gohan. In France, pilaf. In Italy, risotto… There is another famous rice dish I’m missing here.. Yes! that’s what I would like to share this time. One of the popular Spanish dish called “paella” This rice dish is very well recognized in Japan as well. We usually eat them at the restaurant. One thing that might make many people hesitate to cook this particular dish at home is cooking rice in a fry pan. As you might know in Japan, most of the time we cook rice with rice cookers. Add raw rice and water and turn on the switch and it’s done! Using a pan to cook rice might require a little more attention while heating. Otherwise you end up with burn stick rice on the bottom.. But using this redial heating method, you may have less chance to have unpleasant situation in your pan!
[ Ingredients ] *tsp=tea spoon tbs=table spoon
~ serves two ~
2~3 cloves garlic
10 mini tomatoes
1/4 yellow bell pepper
4~5 stalks green beans
2 tsp olive oil
50ml white wine
1 tbs ketchup
some dashes tabasco
1/2 tsp salt
Italian parsley for decoration
[ Directions ]
1. Cut yellow bell pepper into small pieces.
2. Chop onion
3. Cut each mini tomatoes into small dice..
4. And then chop into course puree.
5. Devein prawns.
6. Using the side of the knife, pound garlic.
7. Remove the skin.
8. You can blanch the green beans before hand.
9. Add olive oil and garlic into a fry pan. Start cooking on medium low heat.
10. Keep heating until becomes golden brown.
11. Add the chopped onion, stir fry until translucent.
12. Add the pureed mini tomato.
13. Add ketchup.
14. To spice up your paella, you can add some tabasco!
15. Add raw rice and mix well
16. Add white wine and water.
17. Add salt and pepper.
18. You can add herbs if you have some. This time added some stalks of thyme.
19. Stir with spatula make sure all the ingredients are mixed well.
20. Lay prawns and yellow bell pepper on the surface.
21. Cover the pan and simmer on very low heat for 8 minutes. Shut the stove DON’T remove the lid! Let it sit for another 15 minutes or so to complete the cooking process.
22. Ok.. I think it’s ready,, you can now open up the pan. Hey~! Looking pretty good!
23. You can now decorate your paella with the balanced green beans and some chopped parsley.
Copyright © MASA’s Cooking- All Rights Reserved.