Since I currently live in Taiwan, I have much less chance to see zucchini at super markets. We used to use a lot while I was working at French food restaurant in Japan. Zucchini itself doesn’t have much flavor but because of this spongy structure, it absorbs lots of flavor that’s cooked with. This time I accidentally found very beautiful zucchini at the market. I decided to make something I’ve always wanted to try. The great part of this type of vegetable pie is that its moisture and tender texture. Usually baking this type of dough turns out rather dry sponge. It tends to suck up your mouth water when you are chewing. Can never be eaten without milk…but having zucchini as filling can just solve this problem! You can also add some bacon or/and nuts for extra flavor. Why don’t you make one and bring to your potluck party!
[ Ingredients ] *tsp=tea spoon tbs=table spoon
~ makes 21cm x 1 ~
100g cake flour
1/2 tbs baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 pinch black pepper
3 tbs E.V.Olive oil
50g Parmesan cheese
2~3 stalks thyme
1 stalk oregano
30g gruiell cheese for topping
[ Directions ]
1. Here I’ve got a zucchini. If you can’t find them in your region, you can use carrot or squash instead…
2. Shred it with a cheese grater
3. Squeeze out excess water with paper towels.
4. Finely chop onion.
5. Add some oil to heated fry pan and stir fry the onion on medium heat until translucent.
6. Remove from the pan and cool off. Now you can start preheating an oven to 180 Celsius.
7. Sift cake flour and add baking powder,salt and black pepper.
8. Mix all the dry ingredients.
9. Add egg and olive oil.
10. Mix well..
11. Add cooled onion.
12. And shredded zucchini.
13. You can add some fresh herbs. This time I use thyme and oregano.
14. Chop them finely..
15. Add chopped herbs along with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
16. Mix all the ingredients with spatula.
17. This time I’m using 21cm round mold. Thinly apply butter and dust the surface with all purpose flour.
18. Make sure to shake off all the excess flour before adding cake mixture.
19. Add all the mixture and pound the mold to flatten the surface.
20. Sprinkle some grated mozzarella cheese on the top.
21. make sure the oven has reached set temperature, place the pie into the oven and bake for about 25 minutes.
Copyright © MASA’s Cooking- All Rights Reserved.