As I showed you previously how to make dough. Now It’s time to make a homemade pie! Because this pie itself is not either sweet or salty, it can be used for both dessert and savory dish. Since I happen to have squash in my fridge, I decided to make quiche.
Although,quiches are one of traditional French pies, it’s also very popular in Japan. Filling can be anything. Choose whatever you like and fill in with an egg mixture also known as Appareil. The key to a great pie would be the crust. You don’t want to end up with soggy or burn on the bottom. Let’s see how to avoid this and make nice light flaky crust with succulent filling!!
[ Ingredients ] *tsp=tea spoon tbs=table spoon
~ makes one 23 cm pie ~
200g Pate Brisee
1/2 tbs water
200 g squash
4 strips bacon,cut into small pieces
1/2 onion, sliced
1/2 bunch spinach, cut in 3~4 cm length
[ Appaleil ]
100ml heavy cream
50g Mozzarella cheese
3 tbs Parmesan cheese, powdered
Salt and pepper to taste
[ Directions ]
1. Take out the rested pie shell from the fridge.
Make holes with a fork,if is’t not done yet..
2. Lay a sheet of baking sheet on the shell and fill up with dry beans or rice.
3. Placing into preheated ( 180 Celsius) oven and bake for 15 minutes.
4. Remove the top and keep baking for another 6~8 minutes until golden brown.
5. Take out the pie shell and seal all the holes with yolk and water mixture.
6. Put back into the oven and bake for 1~2 minutes make sure the egg coating drys out well.
7. This time I’m using butter squash. It has very soft skin and contains a lot of moisture.
8. Since this type of squash has very thin soft skin, besides contains lots of nutritious, I decided to keep the skin on. Scoop out the seeds and slice.
9. Add cut bacon into heated fry pan and let oil come out from the bacon.
And then add sliced onion stir fry until translucent.
10. Add squash and stir fry until slightly golden brown.
11. Add cut spinach and cook for a short time and add salt and pepper to taste.
12. To qpepare Appareil. Crack eggs into a bowl and add heavy cream and milk.
13. Add Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper.
14. Mix well.
15. Put prepared filling into the shell.
16. Pour in Appareil until covers up most of the filling and sprinkle Mozzarella cheese on the top.
17. Put into a preheated oven(180 Celsius ) and bake for about 30 minutes or so.
Copyright © MASA’s Cooking- All Rights Reserved.