Creamed chicken stew is usually categorized as Western food.With cream base soup, stewing lots of vegetables and meat. One time I was preparing this dish, I accidentally took out white sweet miso from the fridge and left right by the cutting board and then the idea just came into my mind…white sweet Miso contents very mild saltines which can actually go along with cream flavor very well. Instead of just adding salt to taste, combining with miso can give much more depth to the flavor! Of course it doesn’t have to be exactly the same type of miso as listed here. Regular miso can also do about the same job. If you have lots of miso sitting in your fridge or pantry and don’t know what to do besides making miso soup, this is the time to start knowing its versatility!
[ Ingredients ] *tsp=tea spoon tbs=table spoon
~ serves four ~
2~3 cloves garlic
100g shimeji mushrooms
80g broad beans
1~2 stalks Rosemary
200ml heavy cream
2 tbs All purpose flour
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbs White Kyoto miso/Saikyo-Miso
[ Directions ]
1. Slice onion in lengthwise.
2. Cut carrot into small pieces.
3. Cut potato into small pieces as well.
4. Trim off the root part of shimeji mushrooms.
5. Take each stalk apart by hands.
6. Slice garlic.
7. Add some vegetable oil and the garlic and then turn on the stove.
On low heat, fry until light golden brown.
8. Add onion and stir fry until translucent.
9. Add carrot,potato,shimeji mushrooms and keep stir frying for about 2~3 minutes.
10. Pour in water,milk,heavy cream.
11. Add some fresh Rosemary. After bringing to a boil turn to low heat and simmer.
12. While cooking in the pot. You can process chicken.
Cut boneless chicken thigh into 4~5 pieces.
13. Sprinkle salt and black pepper.
14. Put the chicken into a plastic bag.
15. Add all purpose flour into the bag.
16. Seal the bag and shake well. Make sure each piece gets dredged evenly.
17. Add some oil into a heated fry pan. Put chicken and sauté until golden brown.
18. Let’s get back to the pot. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
19. To add miso, you can use small strainer. This way you can dissolve miso more quickly without leaving lumpy miso stuck on the bottom of the pot.
20. Add sautéed chicken into the pot. With cover on, simmer for 8~10 minutes.
21. Make sure the chicken is cooked through. Finally add blanched green vegetables.
Copyright © MASA’s Cooking- All Rights Reserved.