I love the combination of smoked salmon and avocado. Simply slice avocado and wrap with smoked salmon. You can also make Don-buri style. Get a bowl of steamed rice and top off with generous amount of salmon and avocado and drizzle some wasabi soy sauce. They can be either appetizer or main dish for your easy lunch. This time I’m making chowder with those two items. To make nice rich texture, we usually make roux,(which is made out of butter and flour) and add milk to produce consistency. But this method may cause lumpiness in your soup if you don’t blend with liquid carefully. There is one very easy way to do.. Just taking advantage of potato starch that dissolves easily while cooking. You can still enjoy very rich and smooth texture. With this smoky aroma released from the salmon plus buttery texture avocado brings up your chowder to the next level!
[ Ingredients ] *tsp=tea spoon tbs=table spoon
~ serves two ~
100~150g Smoked salmon
100g Shimeji mushrooms
3~4tbs Heavy cream
Black pepper & Salt to taste
[ Directions ]
1. Peel potato and cut into half. Steam the half potato after cutting into wedges. Save the other half for later use.
2. In my chowder, I prefer having all the materials cut into the same size.
First off, show you how to cut carrot into square shape. Cut peeled carrot into about 5 cm and stand upright. Slice 0.5 cm thick.
3. Lay them flat and cut into strips.
4. Finally, start slicing from one end.
5. Slice onion across wise in 1cm thick
6. And then lay them flat chop into small pieces.
7. The other half potato can be cut in almost the same way as carrot.
8. Cut into strips as well…
9. And chop into large dices.
10. Trim off the root part of white shimeji mushrooms and discard.
11. And cut about 1cm short.
12. This time, I’m making “smokey” chowder. I bought sliced smoked salmon.
13. To avoid transferring fishy smell to the cutting board, remain the salmon on the package board and cut into small squares.
14. Add some butter into a pot and turn on the stove.
15. After melting butter, add chopped onion. Stir fry until translucent on medium low heat.
16. Secondly, add the sliced carrot.
17. When the carrot slightly changed color, you can add shimeji mushrooms and keep stir frying until start seeing light caramelization and smelling aroma.
18. Add diced potato, keep stir frying for another minute or so.
19. Add smoked salmon and toss a few times.
20. Pour measured milk. After bring it to a boil turn down the stove.
21. Keep simmering until the carrot soften.
22. Check on the other half potato being cooked earlier. If it’s already soft, you can mash it with a fork.
23. And add heavy cream.
24. Mix well until smooth.
25. Put into the pot and mix well.
26. Lastly, you can prepare the last ingredient for your soup.
27. Like other ingredients, dice it.
28. Throw them into the soup before it changes its color.
29. Add salt and black pepper to taste and it’s done!!
Copyright © MASA’s Cooking- All Rights Reserved.