Lazania doesn’t have to be flatten pasta nor has to come with meat sauce.. This time I’m using sliced potato to make Lazania-like oven dish. If you don’t have Lazania pasta handy or you happen to have Kimchee and don’t know how to consume. This recipe might be useful! Kimchee is one of Korean’s pickled vegetables. It’s rather salty and spicy. It’s great with a big bowl of steamed rice. But if you go with white sauce, it becomes very mild and you still can enjoy the Kimchee’s flavor complexity! And,, because cheese is also fermented product, when baked with Kimchee they come out very nice aromatic combination flavor! Go ahead and enjoy the fusion style gratin dish!!
[ Ingredients ]
~ serves four ~
400g Kimchee/Korean pickled Sue choy
30g unsalted butter
35g cake flour or all purpose flour
100ml heavy cream
1/2 tsp salt
250g Mozzarella cheese
[ Directions ]
1. Prepare white sauce. First off make roux. Add unsalted butter into a pot. let it melt on medium low heat.
2. After making sure that all the butter has completely melted, add flour.
3. Whisk it well. Keep cooking until bubbling.
4. Before adding any liquid, make sure to shut off the stove.
5. Pour in about half amount of the milk.
6. Whisk well make sure your roux has dissolved.
7. Because of the residual heat, It may start coagulating even the stove is off. It’s OK, keep stiring..
8. Add the rest of the milk.
9. Don’t miss any spot where roux might be stuck. Especially the bottom corner. Scrape off to get all of it.
10. Now you can turn on low medium heat and keep stirring until…
11. Some bubbles appearing on the surface.
12. Shut off the stove and add some seasonings. Now you’ve got silky smooth white sauce ready!
13. I will show you how to cook potato in an easy way. Wash potatoes. While it’s wet, score around potato surfaces across wise. And wrap with plastic wrap.
14. Place in your microwave and cook for 2 minutes per potato. or place them all and cook for 6~8minutes.
15. Remove the wrap and peel the potato skin from where it’s scored. It should come off very easily as the picture showing.
16. Slice the potatoes.
17. Apply some butter on an oven safe dish.
18. Starting at the bottom layer, place sliced potato and pour in the white sauce to cover the potato.
19. Put Kimchee on the sauce.
20. Place some potato on the Kimchee.
21. Cover with the sauce and put some Kimchee. You can repeat until run out of all the materials.
22. Top off with Mozzarella cheese.
23. Place in a pre-heated oven(200°C) cook until golden brown.
Copyright © MASA’s Cooking- All Rights Reserved.