Cherries are rather seasonal fruit. It’s only available in limited time. When I see them at the market , I get to have urge to by a whole box. If it comes in a huge box, you might have hard time to finish them all before they stale. They are many ways to preserve fruits. This time I used those black cherries to make very nice compote! Well simmered cherries can come out very beautiful color and not to mention its flavor! Once you make a whole batch of it, you can enjoy them in many ways. As you can see the picture here, making refreshment is one of the must try recipe on a hot day!
[ Ingredients ]
~serves four ~
1/2 piece lemon
1~2 tablespoon Cointreau or Kirschwasser
[ Cherry Soda ]
2~3pieces cherry compotes
50ml cherry syrup
120ml soda or sprite
1 sliced lemon
1 leaf mint
[ Directions ]
1. A box of Black cherries has just arrived! Every single piece is soo pretty!
2. toss them into running water, rinse well (gently though,,,,)
3. After rinsing, drain out the excess water.
4. Put the cherries into a pot.
5. add some sugar
6. add lemon juice
7. give a little stir, let it sit for 15~30min for dehydration.
8. add measured water into the pot.
9. Start up with mid-high heat, wait until bubbling.
10. use a strainer to scope out the scum coming out on the surface.
11. simmer it for about 8~10min on low heat. and transfer into a bowl.
12. leave it somewhere you can cool them off.
13. when it’s cooled down, you can add some Cointreau or Kirschwasser for complexity of the flavor. Put into the jar and store in a frig. to marinate.
14. With this marinade, you can make very nice refreshment!
toss some ice cubes into a glass, pour some marinade…
15. and then add some soda…
16. Stir it, put a slice of lemon, mint, and your lovely cherry compote for the garnish! There you have it! Homemade Cherry soda.
Copyright © MASA in the Kitchen- All Rights Reserved.