So-men is Japanese thin noodles served as a cold dish for summer. This dish often appears on the table during hot days.. It usually comes with easy garnish such as chopped green onions,nori,ginger past and so on… but this type of combination, nutritious-wise, may not be good enough to call it one complete meal. Especially, when you don’t have much appetite in summer, you have to eat well-balanced meal. Here’s one way to enjoy soumen. You can prepare sake marinated chicken. Use this type of method you can enjoy tasteful & succulent chicken! I also included some other very nutritious vegetables such as okura & Japanese yam. These ねばねば/mucous food gives lots of energy to get you through the hot summer! p(^_^)q
[ Ingredients ]
~ serves one ~
2 bundles Japanese fine noodles
1 Chicken thigh
1 tbs Sake
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Corn starch
1 tsp Water
1 pinch Salt
5~6 stalks Okura
3cm Japanese yam, peeled
2 Pickled plums
1/2 tbs Green onion, chopped
1~2pinches Nori, shredded with scissors
50ml Soba tsuyu
*to see Japanese seasonings explanation please click here!
[ Directions ]
1. To cook evenly, cut open thick part of chicken thigh.
2. Slit tendons to prevent from curling while sautéing.
3. Add fine salt into sake and mix until dissolves.
4. Drizzles the step3. on the chicken evenly. leave it for 10~15minutes
5. Peel the Japanese yam about 3cm and slice.
6. Cut into julienne.
7. To prevent form oxidation, soak into water.
8. Peel the stem(head)
9. Sprinkle some salt on okura. Press and roll against the cutting board to smooth out the hairy surface
10. Blanch the okura for 30 seconds or so and put into cold water to cool off.
11. After cooling off you can slice them.
12. To prepare egg sheet, first mix corn starch and water.
13. Crack one egg and add a pinch of salt.
14. Mix well. make sure starch and egg corporate.
15. Heat up a fry pan on low heat. add small amount of oil and spread evenly by paper towel.
16. Dip the chop sticks into egg mixture and stroke the pan surface to see if it’s hot enough.
17. Pour the egg mixture.
18. Swirl around the fry pan to let egg mixture spread evenly.
19. Turn the heat to high flame and cook for 10 seconds.
20. Shut off the stove and cover. leave it for about 2minutes or so let it cook by residual heat.
21. Remove the egg sheet from the fry pan and place on paper towel to absorb the moisture while cooling off.
22. After cooling, roll the egg sheet.
23. Cut into Julianne.
24. With the skin side facing down cook on medium heat until skin gets golden brown.
25. Turn the meat and cover continue cooking on low heat for 6~8minutes.
26. Wipe off the excess oil and leave for a few minutes.
27. Cut into small pieces before serving.
28. This is Japanese thin noodles known as “soumen” cook as the direction says on the package.
29. Wash under cold running water.
30. You can add some ice cubes to make extra chilly noodles!
31. Combine soba tsuyu and water to make dipping sauce.
32. Chop ume-boshi into puree and serve as garnish.
Copyright © MASA’s Cooking- All Rights Reserved.