what’s KARA-AGE? It generally means deep-fry in Japanese. It has many kinds of it. But mostly used this word when you are using chicken. In North America there are so much variety of deep fried chicken such as mostly known KFC. I love those crispy outside and juicy inside type of chicken. This time, I would like to introduce Japanese way! Also showing you a little technique to make chicken very succulent while deep frying.
[ Ingredients ]
~ serves four ~
500g chicken thigh
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon mirin
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon garlic pate
1/4 teaspoon ginger pate
1 tablespoon sake
1 cup corn starch
[ Directions ]
1. cut chicken thigh into small piece ( about 4~5cm )
2. put all the marinate ingredients into a bowl except for the sake.
3. add cut chicken into the bowl and mix well. leave it for 10~15 minutes.
4. while waiting, you can prepare other materials such as beaten egg, corn starch and pot of oil.
5. after marinating process, you might notice the chicken soaked up all the seasonings and somewhat looking cured. add 1 tablespoon of sake to give more moisture. In the mean time, you can also start heating oil to 175~180°C.
6. dip each piece of chicken into the egg. shake off the excess egg from the chicken before transfer to corn starch.
7. dredge each piece of chicken evenly.
8. separately, put each chicken into heated oil to avoid sticking together. deep fry them for about 1.5~2minutes and remove from the oil.
9. place them on the rack to keep cooking by using residual heat for 5 minutes or so…
10. put all the chicken back into the heated oil and re-deep fry them for about 30 seconds to make them crispy. you can sprinkle some salt for extra flavor if you like!
Copyright © MASA in the Kitchen- All Rights Reserved.