Would you like to go to Japanese restaurant but don’t have enough time on your lunch break? Here’s Katsu bento recipe that might fit your wants.. the word “Katsu” is coming from cutlet. many of the breaded and deep fried meat can be called this way. one of the most common Katsu can be Ton(pork)-Katsu. But of course, Katsu doesn’t have to be pork. besides, regular pork katsu becomes very chewy and tasteless when it’s cold… This can easily ruin your lunch break..but this marinate chicken Katsu can play a perfect roll in side of you bento box! Of course I have arranged other great supportive items. Please enjoy the show!!
[ Ingredients ]
~serves one ~
[ Chiccken Katsu ]
1 chicken thigh
2 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoon mirin
2 tablespoon sake
1/4 teaspoon ginger paste
2 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup bread crumbs
[ Soy sauce marinated shimeji ]
60g shimeji mushrooms
1/4 teaspoon fish stock powder
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon mirin
1/2 teaspoon sugar
[ Pickled Veg. Fred-rice ]
1 bowl steamed rice
60g pickled vegetable, any type of pickled vegetable
1 egg, lightly beaten
*1/2~1 teaspoon soy sauce
*amount should vary by pickled vegetable salt content.
[ Directions ]
1. put all the ingredients(soy sauce, mirin, sake, ginger paste) into a bowl and mix well.
2. cut tendon of chicken thigh to prevent from curling while deep firing.
3. marinate chicken for 10~15minutes.
4. while marinating, you can prepare fried rice. this time I’m using what they call.. “xue-li-hong” it’s green vegetable called Jie-lan pickled with salt and chili pepper. There’s also similar food called Takana in Japan. Kimchee is also very good choice. Basically, you can use any pickled veg you like. I suggest using salty type rather than sweet and sour type.
5. If your pickled vegetable is highly salted, you can wash off the excess salt. chop it if needed.
6. pour beaten egg into heated and oiled frying pan. Folding the egg to absorb the oil on medium heat.
7. add steamed rice on the egg. lightly press the rice with turner to let egg come out the oil that’s been absorbed inside and using cutting motion to spread the egg evenly.
8. add pickled vegetable.
9. add soy sauce and stir it well. you can add some white sesame as you finish.
10. cut off the root part of shimeji mushrooms and take them all apart by hands.
11. put the mushrooms and all the seasonings as shown above (Soy sauce marinated shimeji )
12. simmer it until it’s soft.
13. pull out the chicken from the marinating sauce and flour it evenly.
14. dip the floured chicken into egg and drip off the excess amount of egg.
15. place into bread crumbs and cover evenly. and then, press lightly to secure the bread crumbs on the surface.
16. pour about 1cm depth of oil and heat the oil on medium heat. gently place the chicken and fry it until golden brown one side and turn over cook the other side. place on a rack to drip excess oil.
Copyright © MASA in the Kitchen- All Rights Reserved.