DON is short for Donburi. Donburi is a Japanese dish. A large bowl of rice comes with variety of topping . Oyako-don is one of the most popular topping. This time I would like to introduce not just a simple way of cooking method but enhanced version! but don’t worry, it doesn’t mean that I want to show you much more complicated method. You can just simply follow the step by step photos without any effort you will be having one wonderful Japanese dish!
[ Ingredients ]
~serves one ~
1 bowl steamed rice
1 chicken thigh
2 stalks green onion
[ marinate sauce ]
1 tablespoon sake
1 tablespoon soba tsuyu
[ Don sauce ]
50ml soba tsuyu
1 teaspoon sugar
[ Directions ]
1. You don’ t have to prepare so many ingredients to make this food… You just want to get as good quality materials as you can! This time I’ve got nice free range chicken and organic vegetables and eggs!
2. Slice onion.
3. Cut white part of green onion diagonally. leave the green part for decoration.
4. Here’s how to prepare shredded green onion for decoration. Cut it into about 6cm length and run a petty knife to open cylinder shape.
5. Open up each piece and over lap them.
6. Shred it as thin as you can.
7. Soak it into cold water to let it curl itself.
8. Check the chicken thigh if there is any part that’s thicker than other part.. Slit the thick part of meat to make it even.
9. Heat up a non-stick fry pan over medium heat and place the chicken with skin facing down.
10. Make sure to give nice and rather dark brown on the surface without turning over.
11. You don’t have to cook the other side. Transfer the chicken to the cutting board with skin side facing down.
12. Cut the chicken into small pieces.
13. Place all the chicken on a tray and add sake and soba tsuyu 1 tablespoon each and marinate for 5~8 minutes.
14. While marinating, combine all the don sauce ingredients.
15. Pour the don sauce into the fry-pan.
16. Add sliced onion, green onion and marinated chicken.
17. Bring it to a boil and then simmer it on low heat until onion soften and sauce reduces to about 2/3 or so.
18. When the chicken and other ingredients are ready, check the taste.
Adjust the flavor by adding more soba tsuyu, sugar or water.
19. To make nice silky smooth texture egg, you want to use two eggs per serving!
20. Lightly stir the eggs to break the yolks.
21. Pour about half of the egg mixture by letting run on chop stick or fork to control the liquid flow. Make sure to let it spread all over the surface.
22. And then give a little stir to let the egg cook evenly.
23. Use the same method to add the rest of the egg mixture. Simmer it for a few seconds or until your desired firmness of the egg and shut off the stove.
24. Lastly, have steamed rice ready in a bowl and let the whole thing slide onto the top of steamed rice.
Decorate with shredded green onion.
Copyright © MASA in the Kitchen- All Rights Reserved.