I would like to share one of the most popular Japanese food what we call “Bento”
What’s “Bento”? It refers to packed meal. you can basically pack in whatever you want to eat for lunch and take it with you to school or work. it doesn’t have to be too traditional such as tempra or sushi… By using some sliced beef ribs, marinate in soy sauced based apple & ginger sauce, you can enjoy wonderful bento! Of course you don’t necessary have to use a lunch box to pack in. This can be also served as dinner.
[ Ingredients ]
~serves one ~
100g Beef ribs
*Can be replaced with any type of meat
1~2 leaves Cabbage
2~3 bunches Bock Choy
1/4 piece of Apple
1 teaspoon Ginger paste
1/2 teaspoon Garlic paste
3tablesoons Soy sauce
1 bowl Steamed rice
1pinch White sesame
[ Directions ]
1. Prepare ginger paste. Peel off the skin with small spoon .
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧ why spoon? because ginger has bumpy surface, using a peeler takes much more time to remove skin.
2. make ginger and garlic paste by using a grater
3. Apple can also do a great work in marinating process!
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧ apple adds fruity sweetness to the sauce. And,, it contains enzyme. This makes meat very tender!
4. Combine all the seasonings into a bowl.
5. Add all the prepared paste and mix well.
6. Add sliced beef into the bowl and mix well. make sure each slice gets soaked evenly.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧ Marinate it at least 10~15min. leaving over night in the fridge meat can even tenderer!
*You can change with any type of meat. Chicken, Pork, Lamb, anything you like!!
7. While marinating you can prepare the vegetables. Peel and slice a carrot.
8. lay the sliced carrot on the cutting board.
9. shred them in desired size.
10. cut cabbage into small piece
11. slice onion
12. cut green vegetable. this time I used Shang-hai bock choy.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧ you can use any green vegetable you like..
13. Heat up a frying pan on medium heat and add a little amount of oil.
14. add all the cut vegetables except for the green. stir fry it on medium high heat.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧ green vegetables are very easy to lose color, you add them at very last step.
15. add some seasonings mix well.
16. remove all vegetables from the pan.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧ don’t cook too long. you don’t want them to come out too much water and gets soggy..
17. remove the beef(step 6.)from the marinating sauce and add into the pan.
stir fry it over medium-high heat.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧Q. why cook vegetable and meat separately?
A.Because domestic stove is no strong enough to maintain the high temperature after adding a big amount of ingredients, cook each ingredient separately can enjoy “restaurant-level-high-heat-cooked” texture! (which is crispy and succulent..
18. put the vegetable back into the pan.
19. add desired amount of marinated sauce into the pan.
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧ you don’t have to add all of it. see how long the meat was marinated and saltiness
20. Finally, add cut green vegetable and stir-fry for short time and place them into your Bento-box!
(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧ Beware! if you are preparing in the morning saving it for lunch time, make sure all the food is cooled down before you pack up! Keeping it at tepid temperature for many hours can easily go stale!
Copyright © MASA in the Kitchen- All Rights Reserved.